Friday, April 30, 2010

How does your garden grow?

It is that time of year.
As a kid, we always helped my parents ready the yard for my Momma's garden. We went to the store or farmers market and helped with plant selection, we got the water hoses ready for use, and we all got in the dirt and helped plant a 10x10 veggie garden. We were also commandeered to help weed, water and harvest the multitude of plants. But let me tell you, there is something magical about eating a fat, ripe, juicy tomato while it is still warm from the sun. If you have no idea what I am talking about, you are MISSING OUT!!

This year, my husband decided we should have a garden of our own. So he started some plants from seeds, and others he purchased, and since we have a SMALL backyard, he decided to invest in a raised bed. We figured it would be easier to keep the dog out of it since there are clear boundaries.


So here is my darling husband, loading up Bailey's wagon to transport all the plants to their new  home in the backyard.

You have to start with good dirt. We have none in our yard, so we are cheating and using the Miracle Grow. I will be adding compost and mulch to the top to help with weed prevention and to add nutrients to the soil.
Here you can see all the fun Randy and Bailey had planting the garden. There is a little of everything in there. Several types of tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, corn, melons, eggplant, peppers, and I think a random jalapeno plant.
Half of the finished product. We started Friday afternoon (last week) because there was a storm coming and we wanted the benefit of all that rainwater. We put the other side in Sunday afternoon, and this week everything is thriving. The dog only got in here once...and I think Randy's screaming  terrified him so much, he has not looked at it since.

I am not a super green person. I do my part when I can. I carry fabric bags to the grocery store, I turn off lights when I am not in the room, I have my thermostat set to let the house get warmer when I know there will be no one in it, and I always wash my clothes in cold water. Most of this stuff I do because it benefits me. It lowers the cost of living. And that was a big reason for the garden this year. Last year we hit the local farmers market every weekend and spent at least $20 every time. I LOVE fresh produce. And I would rather support someone local than the supermarket. Have you shopped the produce section lately? Tomato's are $2/lb or more! Its crazy. Cucumbers are 2/$1 So yes, this garden will have paid for itself by the time fall gets here, and maybe I can meet some neighbors while sharing all the extras I hope to have!

13 comments:

Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

Hi, I'm stopping by from Friday Follow! Congratulations on your upcoming arrival. That is so exciting!

And, congratulations on starting your own garden. When I was growing up, my grandparents lived beside us. They and my parents ALWAYS had a pretty large garden that they cared for together. These days my parents still try to have a garden though not nearly as large. I love fresh tomatoes, okra, green peppers, cucumbers, etc. My mom also makes homemade apple jelly. YUM! There is nothing like FRESH vegetables out of your own garden.

Well, it is really nice to meet you. I just became your newest 'Follower' and I will definitely be back to visit soon. I hope you will visit me, too.

Have a great Friday!

Blessings,

Teresa <><

TIFFANY said...

Looks like a fun time. We grew our own pumpkins last year and the kids loved it.
We're getting ready to move, so no garden for us this year. :(

Good luck with your gardening!

Anonymous said...

Hi, stopping by from FF! Ok, this is a super cute post. I love kids getting involved in the garden. You have a really pretty family. Have a great Friday!

Katie said...

Happy Follow Friday! I'm your newest follower :) I hope you'll stop by my blog - My Story Is Not Over @ http://www.katieandspencer.com

Heavenly Savings said...

I finally got my garden finished! YAY!!!! I’m a new follower! Feel free to check out my blog as well! http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com
Happy Friday Follow! Hope to Blog with you again soon!

Simply Mel said...

You have a cute little gardener there! Can't wait to garden soon.

Stopping by from Friday Follow! I'm your newest follower. :)

XmasDolly said...

Hi, Saw you at another blog I was visiting, and thought I'd stop by. I'm your latest follower. I'd like to come back, and see how your garden is doing. What a neat idea to do it that way. We'll that mean you'll get less weeds??

Ms. Sarah said...

so much fun. I miss my garden back home. I tried to follow but it looks like your google friend is down. So I have favorited you.

Sarah
www.caiafacraziness.com

Ally said...

Enjoy your garden! Very nice! Happy FF. I'm your newest stalker!

FourthGradeNothing.com

momondealz said...

Hi! I am following back from FF! We have a garden too, my husband would not have it any other way! :) Congrats on the upcoming new addition, we have our second coming in November.

momondealz said...

Hi! I am following back from FF! We have a garden too, my husband would not have it any other way! :) Congrats on the upcoming new addition, we have our second coming in November.

designHER Momma said...

I'm an avid urban gardener. It totally will pay for itself, no questions asked. Love what you have started.

California Keys said...

How adorable! I can't wait to buy a house so I can dig in the dirt and do some gardening with my kids....