Thursday, April 15, 2010

An Online Chore Chart

Did you have chores to do when you were a kid? We did. I am the oldest of three, and we all had assigned chores for as long as I can remember. When we got older, it was more expected that we pitch in and help, but we had assigned chores and we were paid a weekly allowance if the chores were completed.

I would like to think that it helped me become the responsible adult that I am today. It teaches that there are rewards and consequences to your actions, and time management. I think its also supposed to help teach money management, but that one slipped by me...it wasn't until I was 21 getting a divorce with several thousand dollars in credit card debt (from buying STUPID stuff) that I took a Dave Ramsey class and opened my eyes to money management.

Ah...but I digress. I was recently sent an email that encouraged me to try out a new product called My Job Chart.

My Job Chart is a FREE online Chore Chart that teaches kids to work in a fun and productive way. Using an easy and fun online system, My Job Chart inspires kids to do their chores on time. An interactive point system tracks your child's progress, creating excitement and enthusiasm among kids. And the fully customizable chore chart allows you and your child to decide upon mutually determined rewards, fostering communication and developing responsibility. You even get an email or text message when your kids finish their chores or they earn a reward!

Well...my son is 3, so what type of jobs can I realistically expect him to do around the house? And I don't exactly expect him to go online when the tasks are completed and update me. But they also have a function that allows you to print out a weekly sheet that has all the daily chores listed.

So I can print this out and make sure that Bailey is getting all of this fun stuff accomplished every day.They do have "point" values assigned to each chore, and you can make these point values or monetary values. But lets face it. He thinks money is the stuff you find in the dryer, or he steals out of my husbands pockets at the end of the day. Its shiny and we put it in the piggy bank. Its pretty meaningless to him. But a trip to the bookstore is a big deal...so maybe we will work on this and teach him that brushing those teeth and cooperating when picking up toys and books at the end of the day has positive consequences, like a new book.
Also, since I am not working at the moment, I think it would also be a great tool to make sure that I am getting daily/weekly tasks accomplished. (Its easy to forget when the last time you steam cleaned the carpet was.)

So...if you are looking for a way to get your family chores on track, go check this out. Its free, so you have nothing to lose, and it was a quick and simple sign up system, all it required was an email address.
Let me know if you try it and how you like it!

Just to be clear, I was not paid to do this review. I was entered in a contest to win a gift certificate, but lets face it...contest winners are few and far between.  :) Kristen

No comments: